toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Thursday, September 22, 2005

83. Washing-machined rugs but the Boston Terrier still pees on 2/4 rugs.

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

"I used the same procedures on my first dog, a Miniature Schnauzer," the young man with all hair shaven and a nose ring said. "Soil the tissue paper with the puppy's poo or pee and smear it at the junction between the wall and the floor of the shower room. My Boston Terrier was paper-trained within 7 days."



So simple as that? He noticed my incredulous look. "Well, you must praise her a lot." the young man elaborated."Begin by putting her nose to smell the toilet location. Say 'pee here'" He must have spent time training the puppy to be able to paper-train in 7 days.

"When the Boston Terrier made noises at night," the owner said. "I did not know at first that she wanted to go to the shower room to relieve herself. I realised later and she always go there."

"Did you give her treats for doing what you want her to?" I was impressed that he had 100% success rate. His first dog, a Miniature Schnauzer was paper-trained similarly. He could reproduce the same results with a new puppy.

"No treats. Lots of praises."

As to why he thought of this uniquely Singapore method, I did not ask him. "Was your Miniature Schnauzer a male dog?" He nodded his head. Male dogs do lift their legs and pee on the wall and I presumed he had got the idea of toilet training from observation of male dogs. It was a pity I did not ask him how he thought of this procedure which is rarely if ever mentioned in house-training books for dogs.

"The Boston Terrier still pees on 2 out of 4 rugs," the owner volunteered this information "I used the washing machine to wash them thoroughly."

Why would the Boston Terrier be attracted to the 2 rugs? Why not all 4? She is paper-trained. The newspapers covering the shower room had been reduced to one piece instead of 100% coverage of the floor.

The owner was puzzled. "There is something attracting the Boston Terrier to pee on the rugs," I said. "Did you neutralise the urine smell on the floor under the rugs?" He shook his head. Dogs have a strong sense of smell and would go to the same spots to pee. They also like soft rugs and carpets.

I hope the young man now has the answer to his problem.



SHARING YOUR INSIGHTS:
READERS e-mail to me your problems or solutions. Your queries may be included in the book to help all puppy owners all over the world. E-mail to judy@toapayohvets.com

SPONSORS NEEDED:
Advertisers and sponsors for this book and another book HOW YOUR PUPPY CAN LIVE LONGER?, please e-mail to judy@toapayohvets.com for more info or tel: +65 9668-6468.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home