toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

187. Using National Library databases to do research

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

Monday Nov 21, 2005 at the National Library Victoria Street Atrium.
A one-day exhibition from various government departments including the National Library during the excellence awards for the PS21 (Public Service for the 21st Century)movement. A large crowd of young people gathered around the various booths.

The National Library booth interested me. I was eavesdropping on a library officer explaining database searching to a person. Suddenly, his colleague, a young Indian library officer offered to explain to me how to use the database for research asking, "What's your interest?"

I said, "Animal Research." I doubted there were many animal databases for such research.

The library has several database sources for research. This was a rare opportunity for a member of the public to be given explanations on how to use the databases efficiently from a librarian.

The library officer switched on her wireless notebook. I was quite excited as these searches would help in my research on "toilet training the new puppy". I might get new angles or ideas. New information on puppy behaviour and modification. So, I was all fired up.

The lady's enthusiasm was infectious and motivated me to learn more. An excellent library officer. She did some keyboard tapping. Then she said, "I am sorry. The server is down."

I was not surprised and tried not to laugh. I had to control myself. I had experienced the server failing at the 7th floor of the library more than 4 times last 2 months. Till I was afraid of using the computers to key in my articles. After writing, the server would just close down, wiped out my writing and then booted itself again showing the Microsoft Windows. I tried another computer and the same thing happened to me. So, it was once bitten twice shy. More than once bitten.

How could I be unlucky again this time? Early in the morning, the lady was about to teach me how to use the database relevant to my research in animals. The server had to be malfunctioning again.

This was a one-day exhibition. So, nothing could be done for the L2010 (Library 2010 visions of the National Library) education of the public. Fortunately, the 7th floor server did not break down when I typed the draft of this article. I had to be quick in writing this article. Just in case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home