toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Monday, February 06, 2006

263. Mouthing by puppies

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

"The puppy likes to bite me. Some bites can be painful. What should I do?"
A very common question.




Do a web search on BITE INHIBITION for ideas on how to moderate the mouthing.

For the record, any time a dog puts it's teeth on you in any way after the age of 12 weeks, it is not in play. It is ALWAYS posturing and positioning and dominance related, no matter how much it looks like play. This is how dogs figure out who is who in the hierarchy without injuring each other.

Along with the positive help you will find when you look up BITE INHIBITION (look specifically for articles by Ian Dunbar), I offer some firm discipline for mouthy puppies as well.

I take them (GENTLY GENTLY WITH PUPPIES) firmly by the loose skin under the chin, look them directly in the eye, and say NO TEETH in a low tone of voice. I wait for submissive indications, such as the puppy looking away, licking his tongue out, ears back flat, raising a paw, and then I release the dog.

No making up or saying you are sorry. The leader figure deserves respect.

I would urge you to seek out a puppy training class in your area to help the pup learn the basics, and also for socialization.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home