toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Thursday, August 03, 2006

357. Vulnerable, alert and impressionable daughters

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

Sometimes, there seems to be a coincidence and a link in cases at my surgery. On Aug 2, 2006, I had two cases involving Shih Tzu and 10-year-old daughters for consultation one after another.

In Case 1, the father of around 50s and daughter consulted me on the left eye tearing in the grown up Shih Tzu. They were amazed when I showed them the central corneal ulcer of around 3 cm in the left eye of the Shih Tzu.

The ulcer could be seen at a sideway look. "Corneal ulcers are most common complaint of eye problems in the Shih Tzu, as the dog has protruding eyeballs. Your daughter will be much taller than you," I said as the Primary 3 girl was as tall as his shoulder level. "Children nowadays are taller than their parents," he said.

In Case 2, 2 women in their 30s came with a 10-year-old girl. Good friends with young children. I presume they were time-harried homemakers who ferry their children to various educational classes as they came at around 4 p.m. on a weekday.


"What books do your daughter read," I asked as I was doing a survey on reading habits of children in Singapore.

"What is the name of the book about the pig your SCGS teacher asked the whole class to read?" the mother asked her daughter. I thought it was the three little pigs.

The daughter did not really understood the question.

The friend said, "Charlotte's Web."
"It is a Newberry Medal award winning book," I said. "It is a good book. Do you mean every child in Primary 3 in SCGS buys one book each?" I asked.

"Yes," the mother said. "SCGS is Singapore Chinese Girls School."

"I recall reading about SCGS in the Straits Times sometime ago. It teaches girls to be refined, cultured and to be ladies."

"SCGS teaches girls to be tai tais," the mother said. "The girls are taught tap dancing and to develop good character and personality rather than being bookworms." Tais tais are ladies who marry rich husbands and live a good life. SCGS won an international tap dance competition in New Zealand.

It is a school I would send my daughter to if possible. But I have no daughter.

"What a coincidence that you and your friend had Shih Tzu puppies. Also a 10-year-old girl like the preceding case." I commented.

"The other girl was too fat," the mother repeated twice. I dared not say anything contrary. That girl was taller and had some puppy fat. But she was not obese. She was all right to me.

However, I am sure this daughter, being vulnerable, alert and impressionable, must have got the idea that she should slim down. Will she be sickly thin like many of the young girls in Singapore exposed to daily Straits Times advertisements of slimming?

Most likely, she will be thin because of the mother's influence. Mothers, like puppy owners, have great powers over the young ones. The young ones are vulnerable, alert and impressionable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home