toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Sunday, August 28, 2005

22. Is the Corgi's belly button prone to clipper burn?

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

"I will never go back to the groomer again," the owner said to me. "I did not ask her to clip the navel as I just wanted the puppy to have a bath."

It is best to write down what the owner wants. In this case, the Corgi's belly button was red. It was probably clipper burn as the groomer shaved off all hairs in a rectangular area 7 cm x 14 cm. The Corgi was licking the navel which had loose skin.



I remember Corgi's navels very well. Not that I had encountered more than a handful of Corgis in my practice. I remembered Corgi's navels because I had seen a case of a Corgi whose navel was cut by the groomer's clipper. I had to rush back to the Surgery to stitch up the 1 cm cut. The case was memorable because the owner went back to the same grooming shop even though the Corgi had the same cut on the navel by another groomer in the same grooming shop earlier. How unlucky can the Corgi or the pet shop operator get?

Now, I wonder whether Corgi's navels are vulnerable to clipper burn?

This Corgi is also sleeping alone. I think this is the 3rd sibling I met for vaccination. From the same pet shop. The independence spirit is valued because many Singapore owners cannot cope with whining and barking puppies wanting company at night.

The Aluminium tray with play pen is an excellent innovation by a pet shop operator. The tray prevents urine staining the floor tiles and the 4 pieces of playpen fences collapsing on a home-alone active puppy.


"The Corgi sleeps a lot," the owner said. "Puppies need a lot of sleep." I said. I don't how many hours of sleep do they need per day.

I hope the playpen + Aluminium tray works for this Corgi who appears to be an alpa-female. Likes to bite. Advised not to play tug of war and be strict with her.

SHARING YOUR INSIGHTS:
READERS e-mail to me your problems or solutions. Your queries may be included in the book to help all puppy owners all over the world. E-mail to judy@toapayohvets.com

SPONSORS NEEDED:
Advertisers and sponsors for this book and another book HOW YOUR PUPPY CAN LIVE LONGER?, please e-mail to judy@toapayohvets.com for more info or tel: +65 9668-6468.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home