toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

108. "Eating fresh stools only," the husband said.

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

The puppy was free to roam the whole apartment. So he soils many areas. He also ate stools.

The owners phoned today to say they were very pleased with my suggestion to get vinegar:water 1:1 to neutralise the floor tiles near the sliding door and other areas that attract the Shih Tzu puppy. They bought the vinegar from the supermarket immediately and the results were amazing.

2 weeks earlier, they had a list of about 8 areas of skin itchiness in this puppy. Written in pencil on a small piece of paper. Most owners do not do that. The diagnosis was scabies of the ear edges. They were also happy that the ear mites had disappeared and the fur was growing back in a tricolour Shih Tzu. I must check out my cases 14 days ago if I had documented this case.

Now, the puppy still eats stools. What to do?
I spoke to the wife. She said the puppy will not eat stools in her presence. When she is not around, he ate them. So, I recommended that the stools be sprinkled with pepper or chilli in the puppy's absence. There is a possibility that he may get stomach upset. Or drop a can of coins from a high area or shoot water from a water pistol when he opens his mouth to eat stools. These are suggestions in some dog books. Sounds impractical.

Later, I spoke to the husband. He said that the puppy ate freshly laid stools only. "It is not practical to remove the stools immediately," when I suggested that. I suggested adding pineapple slices in his food. Some owners say that stops stool eating. However, this must be done for some weeks. There are also powders sold by some food manufacturers to be eaten and to stop this habit.

It is a subject of disgust for the puppy owner and perhaps fascination for the researcher. I ask for feedback.

1 Comments:

Blogger libra_goat said...

I have asked the pet shop assistant and he mentioned that it could be lack of supplements that the puppy is doing that so he recommend me a bottle of Enzymes & Probotics for my puppy.

I haven't seen any improvement yet, maybe it takes time..

Mine too will sometimes release on the tile except the pee tray, even if the spray, it will still do it out of the tray...

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home