toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Monday, October 03, 2005

103. The other Siberian Husky objects to the same toilet area

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

"So, how's the leash training?" I asked the owner of the 2 Siberian Huskies. A new member of exactly the same colour was present as well.




"One husky just refused to pee in the same area as the other," the young lady owner said. So, he goes elsewhere.

I think the other puppy, like all puppies want a clean toilet area and sharing toilets may not be possible. I was too busy to take pictures, so I am using the old picture from Case No. 73.


ELBOW SORES IN THE SIBERIAN HUSKY


I saw the 2 Siberian Huskies again. One has licked his elbow bare of hairs.
"Elbow sores are quite common in larger breeds in Singapore," I explained to the owner. "Many new large breed owners are not aware of this problem. Watch the puppy daily and many times. If you see the puppy licking the elbow point or anywhere, check for skin wounds."

Usually, the elbow wounds start as a small area of abrasion with the concrete flooring. A small wound. Flies irritate the wound. The puppy keeps licking till the point of the elbow becomes bare or black.


ELBOW SORES IN THE GOLDEN RETRIEVER. I had one case of a very responsible pre-teen boy who keeps washing the elbow sore with the prescribed shampoo, every day for 14 days as instructed. He kept the points of the elbows dry and clean. After 1 month, I saw this puppy and there was plenty of hair. I could not believe how so much hair has grown. The mum said, "My son (probably 12 years old) religiously followed the daily washing instructions in your shampoo and that is the reason for his success in curing the problem."

Well, it is more than just washing. He inspects the elbows daily and make sure that the puppy does not lie on hard floors. What the owner does not see is the use of antibiotics as well.

This is the first time I get a feedback about such a responsible pre-teen boy in Singapore. I have the stereotypical boy as a gamer, fighting online in addictive multiplayer games past midnight.



Probably territorial behaviour. Urine marking to define his own area. There was another case (black Schnauzer)in earlier reports. The more than one year older dog does not permit the young one to share the same toilet area. This is the second comment by owners with 2 dogs but in this case, the age gap is 1 month.




SHARING YOUR INSIGHTS:
READERS e-mail to me your problems or solutions. Your queries may be included in the book to help all puppy owners all over the world. E-mail to judy@toapayohvets.com

SPONSORS NEEDED:
Advertisers and sponsors for this book and another book HOW YOUR PUPPY CAN LIVE LONGER?, please e-mail to judy@toapayohvets.com for more info or tel: +65 9668-6468.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I love reading blogs about drug dog training cuz I always manage to learn something.

I run a website with great articles about drug dog training and would love to have you pop over and check it out.

Cheers! 8^)

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home