toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Thursday, February 09, 2006

268. The Cocker Spaniel still pees outside the papers

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

"You have a good puppy toilet-training website," the owner of a Cocker Spaniel puppy repeatedly told me. I vaccinated his puppy at the pet shop in West Singapore.

"Information from other sources usually advised puppy owners to bring the puppies outdoor." the owner said. I did not contradict him.

"How did you do toilet training?" I asked.

"Cover the room with newspapers 100%, then slowly remove to one small area."

"Did this work?"

"No," the young man said. "He stills pees on the tiled areas."

I thought he had read all the 300 cases of the puppy training weblog and might have picked up some tips from 300 new puppy owners.

"Did you confine the puppy to a small area?" I asked. The puppy was kept inside a wire crate with door and pee pans below. He also peed and pooped inside the playpen.

The outdoor area was covered with newspapers 100% at first but now much lesser area was covered. The puppy went to the tiled area because it had urine smell. The owner did not neutralise the floor or did not effectively do it. I told him about the solution of using vinegar:water 1:3.

"How big is the room?" I asked.

"About 100 sq ft," the young man said.

"The room is too big." I said. "The ideal method is to enclose the crate with 3 panels of fences from the front. I demonstrated to him from a high crate inside this pet shop. "Put newspapers in this extended outer area."

The theory is simple. In this case, the reduction of newspapers did not work because the owner did not neutralise the urine smell on the exposed tiled area. Or maybe the room was simply too large an area. He probably had no time to train the puppy.



>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home