toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Thursday, May 04, 2006

294. The Hong Kong International Airport's Labrador caught a vet

May 2, 2006 midnight arrival at Hong Kong International Airport.

The black Labrador Retriever was sniffing my left trouser as I cleared the transit barrier. His handler let go of the retractable leash loosened as he moved closer to me while I walked slowly away to the exit. He kept following me.

Suddenly 2 young men stopped me to ask me to open my hand carried bag. I put the bag down on the floor to open it. "Actually, the dog is sniffing my trouser pant," I said. "Most dogs are interested in me as I am a dog vet."

Another man in his thirties, wearing a vest and jacket appeared. His hands on his hips. In case I made an attempt to escape. A drug trafficker. "Any name card?" he asked. I took out my wallet. No name card. Usually I carry some. That made him suspicious.

I unzipped my hand carried bag: "I may have some namecards in my hand carried bag." All sorts of things obstructed my hand. Finally I managed to get my name card. The man with the vest examined it. "You are a veterinarian in Singapore?" he asked.

It was not exactly a professionally produced namecard by a professional printer. It was computer printed by business card software and cut. Maybe I ought to get professionally printed cards, like professionals.

The Labrador Retriever came to me to do his duty. He looked at me and was not excited with me. More interesting things to do, like smelling the new carpet and some chairs.

"Stretch your left leg," the man with the vest said. I extended my knee and stretched my left leg. I wondered why he asked me to do that. Maybe he wanted to see drugs hidden in the left sock? Earlier, one of his man wanted to body search me. But he did not.

The Labrador Retriever was no longer interested in my leg. Nor in my hand-carried bag. He was nonchalant as he sniffed the light grey carpet. A sniff of my left trouser pant and that was all he did now.

This dog was good. Maybe I should not have rushed from my surgery to the airport. Maybe I ought to get brand new trousers should I fly to Hong Kong. After being away from Hong Kong for 8 years, I was most surprised to see that the new Airport was so modern and impressive. That drug sniffer dog was very good. The 3 narcotic officers were good and polite.

I wonder how drug sniffing dogs are trained? Do they sit and signal if they find narcotic drugs? Or they just smell and follow the suspect all the way out to the transit lounge? It would be interesting to know how they are trained.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home