toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Friday, August 04, 2006

358. Paper-trained in 2 days by "talking". Authoritative training.

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

Her friends and the dog groomer were impressed. This male Miniature Schnauzer was paper-trained, not "toilet-trained" in just 2 days over the weekend when he was purchased as a puppy. What was this lady owner's secret?

It is a rare success story. I took a picture of him when he came for his annual vaccination at 15 months old.

"No urine marking?" I asked the lady owner with boyish cut hair style.

"No," she said. "He does not even lift his leg to urinate." Many adult male dogs need to lift a leg to pass water.

"How do you toilet-train him, remind me again," I said. She had told me one year ago.



"He is not 'toilet-trained'" the young career lady replied. "He is paper-trained. Over the weekend after purchase, I talked to him. I scolded him when he peed outside the newspapers. I pointed to the newspapers to ask him to pee and poop there.

"He was paper-trained in 2 days. Nowadays, he would not even pee outside or in my friend's place or at the groomer. He would wait till he is home."

"Not even one accident?" I asked.

"He did pee at the groomer once when he was angry," she laughed.

Success in paper-training or in any venture is to do it by showing LEADERSHIP to the puppy. The puppy wants a pack leader. He was at the impressionable stage of development to accept authority. The weekend permits full-time training and by close communications. Authoritarian (strict control), authoritative (partly control and praises), permissive training (no control)? This lady used the authoritative training method.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home