toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

416. Why the puppy pees in front/behind the door?

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

During my research, many puppy owners say "The puppy would pee in front of the bedroom door or behind the main door. Doing this on purpose."

Well, I did not think much about their observations.

In my surgery, my assistant Anna had a 3-month-old Chihuahua puppy for the last one month. I asked her to let the puppy be out at the reception area instead of being crated at the back room.

"Naughty boy, naughty, naughty," Annie would say as she mopped up the puppy pee found in the reception and waiting area. The puppy could run out of the reception area to the waiting area. The door to the back room would be closed.

I noted that the puppy peed just outside the door a few times. He did pee elsewhere but outside the door was a common area. Why?

I thought about what the other owners said about "peeing behind the door." It dawned on me that the puppy was trying to go to its crate or toilet area. Since the entrance was closed, the puppy had no choice but to pee on the floor tiles behind or in front of the closed door! Bedroom doors are closed to prevent the puppy from eliminating in the bedroom. So, the puppy could not wait and pees near the bedroom door or behind the front door. The strong smell of its urine make it want to pee there most of the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home