toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Monday, November 13, 2006

44. Dad, a cockroach near my computer?

6.30 am.

This teenager woke up, started his video games in which teenagers hop onto a box, do a few twists and the music goes boom, boom, boom. At the same time, he opened his few books, took a pen and papers to revise for his A level Physics examinations in a few days.

"Dad, where's your box," he came to my computer room.
"What box?"
"Your box to trap a cockroach."
"Son, you can take any box," I can't imagine when I taught him to trap a cockroach using a box.
"Just use a rolled up newspapers and give it a knock. When it is stunned, just remove it."

The 18-year-old, about to join the National Service full time was clueless.

I went to his bedroom. The cockroach was hidden between the wall and his computer as he shifted the desktop to the left, giving me 25 cm of width. I rolled up the newspapers, swung it down. Missed or did the cockroach survived due to his flattened body?

The cockroach wriggled in 1 cm of grey cottony dusk at this uncleaned corner of his computer table and the wall.

"So disgusting," the son said. "Where did it go?"

In that tiny space, the cockroach had vanished. Could it be under the fancy desktop which was shaped like a spaceship?

"Lift up the desktop," I asked the young about-to-be soldier. I wondered how he could survive more dangerous creatures like enemies with bayonets, during combat?

The cockroach appeared from under the desktop and rushed to the far corner of the wall. I smacked it with the roll of newspapers. Poor aim. It disappeared down the small gap onto the floor. Still strong.

Jason shifted the table out. There it was at the far end. Too difficult to reach it. This was when I discovered the thick over 2 cm thick cottony fluff of dust. He had not moved this table for years.

Nothing could be done as this table was heavy. I called the domestic worker to help clean up.

In the meantime, the cockroach made a mistake and crawled out. The boy got him and flushed him down the toilet.

So much for parental teaching. I guess I had failed to teach him how to handle a cockroach without being disgusted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home