toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Thursday, June 29, 2006

335. The Irishman's Miniature Pinscher was "Timed Out" if he pooped outside the papers

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

"Nothing to write about in Singapore," the Irish writer from New York had lived in Singapore for around 7 years commented when I asked if he could write the great Singapore Novel. "Singapore is a quiet safe city."

"Depends on what you want to write about," I said as I tried to open the mouth of his black and tan male 6-month-old Miniature Schnauzer. "Gruesome murders, sensational tabloid stories, hijacking of a plane, kidnapping, collapse of a big bank by a financial trader ... I remembered the story about him and his friends dropping their trousers somewhere along Singapore River... All cities would have many stories." He did not think so.

"Your dog would have permanent teeth by now," I placed my right hand on the dog's muzzle as his owner complained that he had seen some lost teeth. The quiet dog wrinkled his lips, coned his mouth and growled a warning.

That was the end of the examination. I put a muzzle on the dog before vaccination just in case he bit the owner by mistake, during vaccination. I could avoid his bite, being a veteran but the owner may suffer.

"How long it takes to paper-train him?" I asked the Irishman with a reddish sideburn. It is rare to meet a published writer. He had written an Irish history of his clan.

"About 1 month."

The dog was crated in a crate with pee pan below for the first week and at night for the first 4 weeks. He put newspapers outside the crate. The dog is fed outside the crate. He said "paper" when the dog wanted to pee. Treats were given on success.

The paper was shifted closer to the bathroom. The dog is fed twice a day outside the crate. He poops in the morning and evening. Whenever he poops on the living area, he gets scolded and put into the crate immediately. This is called TIME OUT, a method used by Caucasians in training of naughty children).

If the dog poops on the newspapers, he gets a treat. So, by the 4th week, he was paper-trained. The dog sleeps from 11 pm to 6 am. No problems of accidents.

It was good to exchange ideas on writing. Lulu.com was a site recommended by him for print on demand.

"You should write a story about your dog Scruffy in Singapore," I said. "Dog stories sell very well in the US. There is a top selling book called 'My Dog Marty'", I said referring him to Kinokinuya in Bugis Shopping Mall and from my reading of the Publisher Weekly. He was more interested in thrillers and suspenses.

"You can have the dog stories,' he said. I hope he would write that big novel based on Singapore and be very successful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home