toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Saturday, October 14, 2006

420. "How much you will pay me?" the 10-year-old boy asked the vet

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

The parents had brought in a white Miniature Schnauzer for vaccination. The puppy had one or two coughs. So, after a long explanation of why he should not be vaccinated, the puppy vaccination was deferred for 2 weeks.

"How much you will pay me?" the 10-year-old boy asked me when his mother suggested that he worked at the Surgery to gain more experience of handling animals. I told the mother he could be a doctor as he was not afraid of blood and insects unlike most city boys of Singapore.

He was the rare type of boy in highly urbanised Singapore not to be afraid of insects and animals in his garden. He could even catch them and destroy them. "If not brought up properly," I said to the parents, "he would grow up to be a wildlife endangered animal species smuggler---for the big money to be made."

He would catch iguana by the tail in the wink of an eye. Scorpions and millipedes would not escape his sharp eyes. Grasshoppers destroying his mother's plants were (I shuddered to describe) sent to heaven.

"How do you catch cobras?" I asked him.

"Just go behind them, grip their neck behind their heads," he said confidently.

"He sold frogs to his classmates," the mother said.

"I am surprised that there are buyers," the young boy replied. He sure had his entrepreneurial streak.

"Why don't you write a report like 'Animals in my backyard' or "10 iguanas in Singapore" for me to publish?" I asked him how much he wanted as fees.

"$100," he replied. "I will sue you for infringement of copyrights if you publish without my permission."

The parents were a bit embarassed.

"But if I paid you for the article, you could not sue me," I said.

He has a younger sister who is not afraid of animals in the garden too. So, no more mentoring of this boy because he expected to be paid to learn. It is such a pity as he could be mentored to be a great veterinarian or doctor. Now, I assessed that he would want to make big money and for that he had to be a business man.

"I like to smell the dollar notes," he said to me when I asked why he needed to make money and was he not getting money from his parents?

"In this case, you ought to be a financial analyst or stock/option/bond trader" I advised. "There is no big bucks in medicine or veterinary medicine generally." This was a boy I could talk for hours on "Unusual and wild animals he encountered in Singapore." It is a pity the parents did not get him to write and photographed the animals for all animal lovers in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home