toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

436. A super puppy salesman - an offer that can't be resisted.

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

"I don't keep dogs as there is a lot of work involved...cleaning up the poo and pee. My wife is afraid of dogs...Now, she likes this dogl.And my Miniature Schnauzer sleeps beside me, covered with a blanket.

"Do you think she ought to be covered by the blanket? My wife did not think she needs the blanket. The room is air conditioned.

My elder son was with me as we were in the dog owner's car going to view an executive condo in North Singapore. He insisted that we go there to view the property he was selling. I told him it was in the wrong location. Still we went.

In the car, he was a machine-gun that never stopped firing.

"I had been to all pet shops in Singapore," he said. "At the second last, I asked for discount but the Seller would not give me a freebie. He said the selling price of the Miniature Schnauzer (in 2004) was $1,500. He was selling me for $1,200. So, I said I would think about it, meaning I would not return back!

"So how did you manage to buy this Schnauzer?". I had just vaccinated her in my Surgery as he came for the annual vaccination.

"From a super intelligent puppy salesman at the pet shop," he said. "He made an offer I cannot refuse. I believed he was an "A" level graduate but he was really great at sales."

"A great salesman does not need to be a graduate," I said. "In fact, I believe the average graduate may not be that hungry to sell. This puppy salesman must be able to sell to you. What offer he gave to you --- the offer you could not resist?"

Maybe I could learn something. So could my son Daniel who had just completed his National Service and had come to work part time before going to the University. He had been a quiet listener sitting at the back of the car.

Daniel had commented to me that this dog owner always called him "Daniel."
"By addressing you by your name, he is using a recommended sales and marketing technique. You pay attention and remember him, rather than not naming you. He knows his business of real estate selling."

So, what was the offer that could not be resisted?

"It is my greed," the dog owner surprised me with his candid confession. Another aspect of the sales and marketing technique which the puppy salesman had applied successfully.

He continued, "The puppy salesman gave me the puppy at $900. Free crate, free urine spray, few chew toys, free third vaccination."

I thought this was a loss maker.

The dog owner elaborated, "The puppy salesman took out all 8 Miniature Schnauzers from the crates. Put them on the floor so that I could see all at one time. They ran all over the floor but this one came to greet me. That was the one I chose."

Giving the prospective buyer choices without high pressure sales talk was another sales and marketing technique. When there was interest, offer the freebies.

So, did the puppy salesman lose money in this case?

No, as the dog owner recommended four friends to buy puppies from him. In return, he gave this dog owner dinners at the Indonesian restaurant.

"Though I live near 3 pet shops, I always drive to his petshop to buy my dog food." the dog owner told me.

So, with 4 referrals, this puppy salesman sold 5 puppies and had after-sales income from dog food and grooming.

Knowing the needs of the prospective customer was what made him so successful. He did sell all the 8 puppies within 2 weeks when many pet shops found it hard to sell 3 puppies a month in 2004. But you don't need to be a graduate to be a top salesperson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home