toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Saturday, July 08, 2006

341. The boy asked whether the dog is right or left-handed.

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

The 9-year-old boy with a round face and skin as fair as a Teochew lady and who reads a lot turned his back towards me and whispered to his mum. Mum bent down. He ss..ss..into her ears.

"You can ask me the question directly to me," I said.

"He wants to know how to tell whether a dog is left or right handed?" mum reported.

I had never heard of this question and really did not know how to answer.

"I guess the dog does not hold a book or chopsticks," I replied. "So, it is hard to know."

What a stupid answer, I thought to myself.

Mum elaboarated, "My son had read in a dog training book that a dog is right handed if he offers his right paw for treats or training."

Certainly, I had not come across such a book. A very good question.

"I have no answer," I said. I noticed 3 circular wounds linked by a scratch line on the boy's left forearm.

"How you got these wounds?" I asked thinking he had been bitten by mites or bugs. 3 circles of around 4 mm in diameter linked by a red line. How it happened?

"He has sensitive skin," mum said, "Doctors do not know why, but he scratches himself till he gets other wounds."

This was news to me. The boy was holding his right hand behind his back as I lloked at his left hand placed on the stainless steel examination table. It was unusual for a boy to hide a hand.

"He scratches his left hand too," mum said. "No doctor could tell us what is the cause. The itch affects his hands and legs but no where else."

What is the cause of this itchiness? Could it be a contact dermatitis? Some skin irritation on contact with some environmental chemical? He was wearing short sleeves and could there be an environmental dust or dust mite irritating his skin?

"Are you able to use your mind to control your body?" I asked the boy. Probably he did not know what rubbish I was talking. How can a mind control the body?

"I mean telling yourself that you will not scratch to cause more wounds," I said. "Can you do that?"

He nodded. This boy would excel academically since he liked to read books at a young age. If parents could guide him well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home