toilet training, house training puppies

Community education supported by www.toapayohvets.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

A veterinary surgeon at www.toapayohvets.com and founder of a licensed housing agency for expatriate rentals and sales at www.asiahomes.com

Thursday, September 08, 2005

39. The single lady and her Shih Tzu

Toilet Training Your First Puppy in Singapore

What is in the best interest of the Shih Tzu may not be in the best interest of the veterinarian. But the interest of the Shih Tzu must come first rather than the generation of income from sick Shih Tzus.

Wood shavings were used by a new owner of the Shih Tzu as bedding but a piece of wood shavings stuck on the right eye. The next day, the Shih Tzu had corneal ulcer and a fever. The owner could treat this eye problem at home and saved on veterinary costs. But she did not have a draught-free and dark place to house this Shih Tzu. I visited her condo and it was one of those breezy types in a green wooded area. So, I had to ward this Shih Tzu.

The owners decided to sell her, on my advice as they do not know how to take care of her. There will be further eye injuries and grooming and veterinary costs if the Shih Tzu is not properly cared for. The lady owner phoned me of the decision to sell.

An adult lady with a male Shih Tzu puppy came in for vaccination. "How do you toilet train your Shih Tzu?" I asked this confident young lady. "Lots of time and patience," she said. She explained her procedure. It took 3 weeks of messing the kitchen floor before her male Shih Tzu got the idea. Spanking and putting the nose of her Shih Tzu to smell the urine on the newspapers before putting it done on the kitchen floor were her methods.

"Do you not give a command when you showed your puppy the soiled newspapers?" I asked. This was the part she left out.

"Yes," she said. "I say 'Pee here'". That was a necessary part of toilet training.

"Would you like to buy a female Shih Tzu?" I asked as I assessed she could care for the Shih Tzus.

She was shown the Shih Tzu in my Surgery. She was interested and was in the process of finding a Shih Tzu companion. I connected both parties.

"I bought mine for $400," she said when the owner wanted to sell hers for near to $900 which was the purchase price of the gold and white Shih Tzu.

"Go to the internet like Yahoo," the confident lady advised. "There will be buyers for your Shih Tzu." Maybe she bought hers from the world wide web.

I asked both parties to negotiate directly. Selling Shih Tzus is not my core competence. I really had to rush to the breeding farm to vaccinate puppies and kittens and it was late.

What is in the best interest of the gold and white Shih Tzu may not be in the best interest of the re-seller. Well, it is hard to sell damaged goods and now there is a buyer, the price is slashed too low.



"In my opinion," I said to the re-seller, "It is better to sell to somebody who knows how to care for your puppy rather than recover the money. Shih Tzu puppies grow and may not be so attractive to buyers." It is hard to lose over 50% of the purchase price but sometimes, cut losses prevent further expenses. It is hard to do it.


SHARING YOUR INSIGHTS:
READERS e-mail to me your problems or solutions. Your queries may be included in the book to help all puppy owners all over the world. E-mail to judy@toapayohvets.com

SPONSORS NEEDED:
Advertisers and sponsors for this book and another book HOW YOUR PUPPY CAN LIVE LONGER?, please e-mail to judy@toapayohvets.com for more info or tel: +65 9668-6468.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home